First up for the double-feature recommendations: Pan's Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno), directed by Guillermo del Toro, and The Spirit of the Beehive (El espíritu de la colmena), directed by Victor Erice. Post should be up in about a week from now.
Possible future recommendations:
- The Fallen Idol and The Rules of the Game (La règle du jeu)
- The Maltese Falcon and Chan is Missing
- The Dark Knight and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (idea from Rocchi's Portal)
- Hara-Kiri (Seppuku) and Sisters of the Gion (Gion no shimai)
- Last Year at Marienbad (L'année dernière à Marienbad) and Carnival of Souls
- the WWII quadruple-punch of The Longest Day, Is Paris Burning (Paris brûle-t-il?), Army of Shadows (L'armée des ombres), and Inglourious Basterds.
Something I forgot to mention in my previous post: The Maiku Hama detective trilogy is awesome.